Nelson\Nygaard has built a core practice in the field of community planning, including accessible transportation, paratransit planning, and coordination between public transit and human service transportation. Our plans address mobility alternatives for those often left out of traditional transit planning, including people with disabilities, older adults, low-income residents, those in rural areas and those residing on tribal lands.
Building on national project experience, our team has conducted ADA paratransit compliance assessments, provided technical assistance in litigation settlements, and facilitated training workshops for planning paratransit service delivery. We have provided comprehensive mobility needs assessments for older adults and developed strategic plans that span the full continuum of mobility strategies, from flex services, fixed-route travel training to older driver workshops.
Nelson\Nygaard boasts some of the most competent coordination experts in the US, including several who have been helping counties, regions and states develop, implement and manage cost-effective coordinated systems since the late 1970s.
Key areas of expertise include:
- Paratransit planning and ADA compliance
- Older adult mobility plans
- Rural community transportation planning
- Marketing and public information for accessible transit services and programs
- Human service and community-based transportation coordination and planning
- Non-emergency medical transportation
- Assessment of the physical accessibility of transit vehicles and facilities
- Pedestrian planning
- Low-Income transportation plansSubsidized taxi programs